I thought about this a bit more.

Using Aristotelian thinking - that is, relying on logic and a small
amount of knowledge/observation rather than detailed knowledge or
observation - I think the situation is this.

To a human being, Mac files may appear with both upper and lower case
characters.

However, to the Unix underpinnings of Mac OS X, all files appear
completely in lower case.

Consequently, although one can easily see a folder named Users at the
top level of the hard drive, any Unix reference to it must be to /users.
A mention of /Users in a Unix script will just fail.

It seems to me that this must be the issue I ran into. But I will leave
it to yo uto check where the plugin mentions /Users.

--
danco