>I found this happened with multi-valued id3 tags.  e.g. if you have several
>ARTIST or GENRE tags, rather than use a separator character in a single tag
>value, then it is likely that only the first artist/genre would be kept.

I take this back.  I just tried this again with id3v2.4 tags (previously I had
used id3v2.3 tags), and it seemed to be okay with multiple artist tags.  I
definitely noticed some tag loss in the past - possibly only with id3v2.3 tags?

I'll try with some other tags to get some more confidence before applying to
everything though.