mrw;594520 Wrote:
> This OSX sleep issue must have been bubbling away for a quite some time,
> I think.
What would you guess the demand would be for this sort of solution on
pre Leopard systems?  How many Tiger SBS systems are out there, do you
suppose?

I did run across some code this afternoon that uses the same api as
SleepWatcher...code that I think I could shoe-horn into a Tiger version
of my utility.  Basically, it would still operate the same, with a timer
killing the run loop in order to terminate the program.  But it could
also register for power management notification, just like SleepWacher
does, and the pm callback could deny the any sleep requests that come
in before the timer expires.

Admittedly, this is a simplistic approach.  I'm just trying to avoid
having to write sockets code on OSX.  Having a full-blown power state
monitoring daemon that communicates with SBS via the cli would take
this work full circle.  This was the approach advocated by epoch1970 a
few years ago.  I resisted it then, and I guess I'm still resisting it
simply because I know I'll end up spending months trying to get the
sockets code right and portable between osx, windows & linux.  Also,
while I've got a code example for OSX now and I have a good idea about
how to accomplish the same thing in C on Windows, I don't have much of
a clue about how to write a power monitor daemon under linux.  I've
found the gnome session-manager documentation to be sketchy, without
many examples in C of utilities interacting with the session-manager.

--
gharris999