@mrw:

Thanks for that.  Because this was my *first ever* compiled OSX
binary...well, I only had a vague idea of what I was doing.

I believe that you are right that sleep-inhibit will only work on
Leopard or newer.  There is the UpdateSystemActivity() api that should
be able to be used with older version of OSX.  But I couldn't find any
real documentation for that.  The only arg I've seen used is:
UpdateSystemActivity(OverallAct).  Presumably, there are others so
that, for instance, system sleep could be inhibited while display sleep
is allowed.  But again, I can't seem to find the documentation.  I still
don't know my way around Xcode.

I would, however, like to try my hand at compiling a universal binary.
Would you be willing to post your changed version of the source?

Re: The 'default action in the face of no args' approach.  What do you
think?  Is this a mistake?

--
gharris999