gharris999;594254 Wrote:
> Thanks for that.  Because this was my *first ever* compiled OSX
> binary...well, I only had a vague idea of what I was doing.
Don't be fooled into thinking that I have much more of a clue.
> I believe that you are right that sleep-inhibit will only work on
> Leopard or newer.
When I looked 2/3 years ago in the context of 10.4 I recall learning
that the (UpdateSystemActivity ?) api would not allow granularity
between system sleep & display sleep. I can't pin-point the reference.
That's when I learned about the IOPM hook, and discovered that
SleepWatcher had done it for me.
> I would, however, like to try my hand at compiling a universal binary.
> Would you be willing to post your changed version of the source?
No changes to source required, XCode handles it through the build
settings. In fact I probably ended up with a Universal binary by
mistake !
Project/Edit project settings is the place to go. Mine currently looks
like:
Architecture                      Standard 32-bit Universal
Base SDK                           Mac OSX 10.5
Build Active Architecture Only   - No tick (gives universal
binary)

Can be set for all configurations, or individually -
release/debug/whatever... endless scope for inadvertent error.

Take a look at SDK Compatibility Guide - Configuring a Project for
SDK-Based Development.
I suspect that you do not need to build 32/64 bit universal unless Snow
Leopard requires it. (But recall my first comment).
There's probably a simpleton's guide, somewhere.
> Re: The 'default action in the face of no args' approach.  What do you
> think?  Is this a mistake?
I think it's a feature. My natural response was to expect some terminal
output when I provided no args to the tool.
If that's a common response then perhaps the "try to read the cookie
file" could be switch driven as well.

--
mrw