danco;609085 Wrote:
> My Mac has never been able to sleep on its own. It is known that Energy
> Saver doesn't work for some people, but there have been various
> suggestions for the cause, none of which seemed to be my problem. I use
> a third-party utility (Please Sleep, but there are others)) to force
> sleep after the time set in Energy Saver. Server Power Control, with
> Jiggler or Caffeine, than prevents sleep when my Squeezebox is playing,
> and Really Prevent Standby used to work.
>
> As for apps becoming paid, that's the developers' decision. Apple does
> permit free apps on the Mac App Store, and I have several. I guess that
> the developers now feel that they can charge a very small account and
> make a decent amount of money. Previously it might not have been worth
> their while to charge.
Ok, second test..still working.  In Energy Saver, I have the system set
to go into "safe sleep" after 10 minutes.  I started an album playing
with SBS and let it play through to the end.  After it finished and
then after the default 20 minute ReallyPreventStandby idle-grace
period, PleaseSleep put the system under.

So...it seems to be working for me, at least.

If you can't get ReallyPreventStandby to keep the system awake on its
own, and since you're using PleaseSleep, you might try configuring
PleaseSleep's "force sleep unless" feature to keep track of
sleep-inhibit.

--
gharris999