crontab -e will get you into a mode where your syntax will be checked
for you before the cron file gets saved.  There is a way to involk that
command so that nano is the editor rather than vi, which is uber arcane.
I don't remember the exact env setting but google will turn it up for
you.

>From what I've seen, SrvrPowerCtrl's wakealarm function on Linux is
pretty much an all or nothing thing: either it works or it doesn't. I
haven't seen a case before where it works only intermittently. That's
why examining the logs (and setting the logging level to debug) is
helpful.  Set slams for 7 to 10 minutes in the future and then force a
suspend of the machine.  See if it wakes up.  If it doesn't, wake the
machine via the power button or via WOL and then examine the log.

--
gharris999