I built my server within the last 30 days from new parts.

I think the best way for me to proced (with the understanding that my
approach is trial and error) is to try to set up a crontab to suspend
the server for six overnight periods per week leaving it one one night
for my backups. I have tested using a BIOS setting to trigger waking up
at the same time in the AM and that seems to work.

In my experimenting thus far, I have not always been able to get the
server to wake up via an alarm with the plug in. (The plug in is great.
I'm likely doing something wrong.) However, the BIOS adjustment does
work. Since I would have to use an alarm to trick the server into
staying awake for one overnight period per week and the alarm does not
always result in a wake up, I'm thinking the crontab approach might be
the way to go for my one night a week scenario.

I think I have the correct crontab syntax followed by the "turn off"
command. What I don't know is what happens after I log in as root,
trigger the nano text editor and  get to the part where you can set up
a crontab. Apparently, I need some text before my 30 0 * * 2-0
sequence. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

I have posted a similar question on the Vortexbox forum but this
location seems to have a wealth of
Linux talent as well.

Thanks.

Thanks.