arztde;658450 Wrote:
> I like the idea, is there any possibility to port it to slow machines
> like synology or etrayz? They are based on ARM CPU with no FPU inside.
> There are a lot of users that use such machines and for etrayz i can
> say there is no java 6 available as farisee. Maybee i am wrong in
> this.....
>
> Maybee some other solution exists to port it?

I tried it on a Sheevaplug some time ago but there was something not
optimized with the Java implementation so it used a lot of CPU even
when it didn't do anything. We will investigate it later but it's not a
priority among existing contributors in the near future. However, if
there are some developer out there who like to help investigating this,
please let us know that you like to join the project.

It could be related to OpenJDK which I used on the Sheevaplug, I don't
think the Oracle/Sun JVM can be easily installed on a Sheevaplug so I
didn't try anything else.

The scanning might take some time but I think that's acceptable because
you are not going to do a full rescan in SMD very often, it's not like
SBS where tags is the only persistent storage of your metadata, in SMD
the SMD database will be the metadata source for many users and tags
are just used for an initial import of a track. We haven't implemented
any incremental scanning yet, so at the moment a second rescan takes a
lot longer time than it will do in the end. If the scanning/import is
still to slow on low power hardware, we can always consider allowing a
faster computer to be used during scanning/importing and then use the
slow system only when managing and browsing the SMD database contents.
On top of this there are some other things that can be optimized in the
scanning process, for example we currently recalculate the checksum
based identity every time and this would be possible to cache and only
re-calculate for files where the last modified timestamp has changed.

The problem on the Sheevaplug was that it was also slow when browsing
and that really needs to be solved for it to work on low power
hardware.

Still, my experience on the Sheevaplug wasn't too good, so at this
stage I don't want to guarantee that it will work good on similar
hardware in the future, but we will eventually at least spend some
effort on trying to make it work. One important aspect is going to be
memory, I don't expect it to work on devices with 128/256 MB memory, I
suspect we are going to need at least 512MB as the device has to run
both SBS and SMD processes.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.