arztde;658533 Wrote:
> I did not speak about to do the job directly on this low power hardware.
> I speak about to implement from beginning that the app can be installed
> on a power hardware somewhere inside the Network and do the job from
> there to an external squeezeboxserver.
>
> For example. The NAS where is running the SBS have to low power to do
> this, but my joggler have enough power to do it. Or my EEE Box or my
> EEE PC.

SMD consists of multiple parts and each part can execute on a separate
machine on the network already today:

The user interface parts:
- Rich client (Which typically will run on the laptop/desktop/tablet
you are sitting beside)
- SBS plugin (which needs to run on same machine as SBS, this is purely
perl based, no java in the plugin, so it won't use much resources)

And the server parts:
- The SMD server with all the browsing and storage logic (does not have
to run on same machine as SBS)
- The SMD database which contains the data (does not have to run on
same machine as SBS)

It's the SMD server and SMD database that currently use most CPU.

The SMD server and SMD database needs to be on the same hardware if you
are using the embedded database that's the default, but it's perfectly
fine to use one of the other standalone databases supported, for
example MySQL, and then it can run on a different machine than the SMD
server.

However, for the system to work, you need at least the following
somewhere in the network:
- The SMD plugin
- The SMD server
- The SMD database
- SBS

The rich client is optional and not required for the system to work but
you probably want to have it installed on your laptop/desktop/tablet for
data management.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.