Line;683819 Wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been requested or not, but can you implement
> the pause of local playback on headphone removal from the jack? That
> would be much appreciated!

Hm. Doesn't it do that? Which iOS version is this? Have to check, it's
supposed to stop.
If it doesn't, please file a ticket:
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/

> Also, if the iPod / iPhone could be selected by default and put at the
> top of the players list on launch, that would save me a lot of swipes,
> scrolls and taps. Instead I could just jump into the collection view
> and queue up music for local playback.

Yes, but others might not only want to use the local player and for
them that might be bad. Also...

> Alternatively, if iPeng could remember the arrangement or priority of
> the players so that immediate access is provided for a player (local or
> remote) that might be a more universally acceptable approach.

It actually _does_ that? What device are you on?
I suspect that contacting your server over the remote connection simply
takes too long.
iPeng's remembering the last player for a minute, after that time, it
picks another one. Actually it picks another one immediately but if
your last player (iPhone) comes up within a minute it switches back to
it.
That's for the current release, older releases has a 30s timeout which
was close on iOS3-devices.

> Lastly, here's hoping that the time from launching the program to when
> local playback is resumed will be shortened (I stream from outside my
> network, and I notice iSub begins playback almost immediately when
> compared to iPeng, this may be a result of the local caching though)
>
> Basically I Want SPEED!  :)

Understood, but there's little I can do here. To make it work, the
player has to be connected to the server, the server then has to report
it and then it can be used. The whole Squeezebox ecosystem is not
optimized for remote access.
Especially with remote access, iPeng can't just assume that playback
will work, there's a lot that can go wrong. Ports can be blocked or
forwarded to a different port (which breaks the Squeezebox protocol for
playback), the server might not be available,...
As the Squeezebox is designed, communication is never initiated on the
client, you need the server to be involved. Here's the startup
sequence:
1. Find servers. iPeng immediately tries to connect to the last server
it was connected to so if that was your remote connection it should be
fast. If it was _not_ your remote connection but e.g. the direct
connection on your local network, iPeng will have to hand over to the
new server first. It does that eventually but especially if iPeng's
player is involved (which would initially not be connected) it takes
time. It helps to always use the remote server, I do that for
convenience, if your router is worth it's money it still should not
route the traffic outside your home when you are on the local network.
2. Connect iPeng playback to the current server. If your last server
was on your WiFi network (not using the remote connection) and you are
away now, this will inevitably fail. This is the situation that adds
most time to the startup sequence. iPeng only connects the player when
it has found a server, no sense in doing anything else.
3. Retrieve players from server. The player can only be used when it's
successfully connected, you can't send commands earlier. If it was
playing before, it should start streaming as soon as it's connected but
queuing up new stuff will need a fully working remote control
connection, too.

To sum it up: reconnecting the iPhone's player as the default player
should work if you used the remote connection (the manually configured
music source) before and actually that does work quite reliably for me
but that's necessary, you must not switch to the local server instance
on the local network. iPeng can not know it's the same server and that
it's now supposed to use a different one when contacting remotely so
there is little chance to make that work otherwise, iPeng simply can't
know where to put the player.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com