I actually can't explain the empty albums, I really thought that would
go away with the rescan.
Are you sure you did a "Clear & Rescan" and not just the incremental
"Look for new and changed music"?

The duplicates, if they are completely identical probably mean that the
server has two different paths to your music.
Typical reasons are that you configure both iTunes import and a music
folder and the music folder is specified in a different way than the
iTunes path (e.g. though aliases or symlinks).
Another reason could be that you simply have your music on your machine
twice, are you sure it's identical files?