epoch1970 wrote:
> Difficult question IMHO.
> A few things I would check right after wake-up :
> - system time. If the clock is off then plenty of things can go wrong.
> - system load. Perhaps the system is too busy for LMS to run well.
> - network status and interface parameters. Perhaps the machine renews
> its DHCP lease or renegociates link parameters with the switch.
> - possibly hard drives/data links parameters.
>
> I've seen all this go wrong (and much more) when suspending linux
> machines. Trying all suspend quirks can't really harm. Also, I don't
> know how the PM system you're using works, but what I do personally is
> to stop services, unload kernel modules� as needed before sleep, and
> restart these upon wake-up. A friendly machine (and kernel) won't need
> anything special; temperamental ones can do really funny things until
> you've found the exact issue and solve it at sleep time.
>
> My debugging method is about this :
> - unplug anything unnecessary from the machine, including networking.
> Keep only keyboard/console.
> - check the bios is reasonably recent (beware of a 1.0 version), set to
> reasonable parameters, that the cmos battery is not depleted (can cause
> time/date issues.)
> - try suspend with my system running a minimal set of services
> (something like single mode, with ACPI active). It should work (perform
> normally).
> - if it does not work, look for people with similar problems and the
> same hardware. Try a newer/older version of linux. Kernel versions do
> matter, unfortunately.
> - if it does work, check it works repeatedly, and not a single time.
> Also, check the machine does reboot and shutdown correctly after
> sleep/wake cycles�
> - then gradually add the hardware/drivers and apps I want to run and
> see when it starts to break. When the breaking point is found, find the
> way to stop the culprit before sleep, and restart it at wake-up.
>
> As already said, on some setups I've had to proceed to quite a few
> seemingly futile stop/starts. However, I have yet to see the need to
> restart LMS.

Thanks for your elaborate answer!
I am happy and sad :-)
Happy that I am not completely stupid in solving this myself and happy
about the detailed recipe you provided.
Sad that there is no easy fix.

FYI: The server is dedicated to running LMS and doesn't have any
peripherals attached (not even screen mouse and keyboard, only
motherboard RAM and HDD) So with a dual-core atom processor and 2 GB RAM
it normally has no problem performance wise. Network is more suspect.
However, the fact the this intermittent playback ONLY occurs after
returning from suspend makes me think it is a combination of waking up
and network configuration (perhaps router related as you point out). The
issues is complicated further by the fact that it only occurs sometimes.

I will start with the easiest: suspend quirks. This morning I tried with
suspend --quirk-s3-bios and so far no problems, but this may be
accidental.
Thanks again - I will report when/if I find a solution.
-thomas