garym wrote:
> this is an important point, as I have seen other discussions, including
> in this thread, questioning whether some odd volume normalization scheme
> is being used by some of the streaming services which can even make the
> 320kbs files not transparent. That's certainly a variable that is not
> present in a typical comparison of high bitrate lossy vs lossless.
This is a conspiracy theory.

Why would companies such as Spotify deliberately degrade their sources?
The bulk of the streaming business are consumers which are perfectly
content with lossy. Why would you risk alienating your main customer
base? After all, the manipulation would come out sooner or later (it's
not rocket science to record and compare streams).

I think you should provide evidence supporting your conspiracy theory.