pippin wrote:
> No, it's a misunderstanding. Spotify DOES have a feature to normalize
> volume across tracks and it DOES do additional dynamics compression
> degrading the dynamics of your track.

Yeah, I know, but the feature has nothing to do lossy audio encoding.
Remember we were not just talking about Spotify but also about WiMP and
such.

> Also, it's not true that mp3 at high bitrates and with good encoding
> sounds the same as lossless. This is usually true if you have normal or
> good hearing but if your hearing is impaired it does no longer hold. mp3
> (actually all of the lossy codecs) work by removing lower frequencies
> that are masked out by higher frequencies by our ear (or more precisely:
> by the audio compression our ear seems to do when transmitting the
> signal to the brain). They do NOT restore these frequencies when
> decoding the music.

Your claim that somebody with impaired hearing is better able to
identify artifacts in lossy audio is highly unorthodox. Can you provide
evidence? Common sense suggests just the opposite: the better your
hearing, the more likely to hear artifacts introduced by MP3. Think of
it this way: somebody on the side of the road is humming. There's noise
from cars driving by. The cars may mask the humming. But the better your
hearing, the more likely you can still hear the humming against the car
noise.

There's one more thing you got backwards. An encoder may start by
low-pass filtering the input signal. This would discard high frequency
content, not low frequency content. When you hearing deteriorates, what
typically happens is that your ability to hear high frequencies is
impaired the most. This again contradicts your argument that people with
poor hearing are more likely to successfully discriminate between lossy
and lossless.