dafiend wrote:

> This is a conspiracy theory.

No, it's a misunderstanding. Spotify DOES have a feature to normalize
volume across tracks and it DOES do additional dynamics compression
degrading the dynamics of your track.
It is, however, in the player software and it's an option you can turn
off, Triode's plugin supports that, too. I believe Logitech's ignores it
and never normalizes.

Also, it's not true that mp3 at high bitrates and with good encoding
sounds the same as lossless. This is usually true if you have normal or
good hearing but if your hearing is impaired it does no longer hold. mp3
(actually all of the lossy codecs) work by removing lower frequencies
that are masked out by higher frequencies by our ear (or more precisely:
by the audio compression our ear seems to do when transmitting the
signal to the brain). They do NOT restore these frequencies when
decoding the music.
However, if your hearing degrades and you can't hear the higher
frequencies masking the lower ones anymore the difference becomes
immediately obvious. You can easily test this by wearing earplugs (which
also filter higher frequencies more than lower ones), you will usually
easily detect the difference in an ABX test then.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*