PasTim wrote:
> I understood that pcm had no metadata, but I'm obviously wrong.

Not at all, you're correct pcm is just audio sample. I'm referring to
metadata I receive after querying LMS, not metadata within stream.

> minimserver is indeed transcoding, I set it specifically to do so in an
> attempt to test whether it showed the time.  The minimserver log showed
> quiet clearly that it was sending L16, and then WAV24 when I changed its
> settings.  I might add that I haven't had any trouble with it not
> behaving as expected.  When I make a change the change takes effect
> reliably.

So I'm too conservative in my evaluation of ProtocolInfo

> I'm thinking more broadly than this. Many, many times have I done tests
> and got inconsistent results until things seemed to settle down.  d6jg
> seems to have had the same experience.  Now it may be that I really am
> just careless, but I tried really hard not to be, and I still got
> different results, as far as I can tell just after going from one
> setting that didn't work, through various others, back to the original,
> which then did work, for the same track.  I still can't believe it's
> happened to me again......
I don't think you are careless but my app is very likely the problem and
still has bugs that creates random results which, as you know, are very
difficult to catch. Unfortunately the use of 24 bits and high sample
rate is what I can test the least as I miss renderers to test. And I'm
still on LMS 7.7.5 (for my main computer) which has a problem with pcm
and sample rates above 96K (it says sample rate 44.1KHz for anything pcm
above 96KHz, although it sends files with higher sample rates - I just
checked again the difference with 7.9 before writing this).

My own setting, sometimes when quickly commuting between tracks show a
problem like one track not playing. I looked at that many times and
could not log a difference, but it still might be on my app or the
player itself that got overloaded by frequent track & format changes.
Using LMS and squeezelite or a native player will always be better than
sq2u because there is an end-to-end control of what's happening where
here I'm facing the diversity of UPnP player that is, as you rightly
pointed out a long time ago, very inconsistent.

Sometimes I'm wondering if I should not have chosen to
decode-then-encode everything to minimize UPnP player permutation and
combination, but then it would probably have taken so much CPU on small
systems that the simplicity gained on one side would have been lost in
usability. Well ... by supporting all the possible UPnP players and all
the formats, I've opened a (small) Pandora box :)

LMS 7.7.2 - 5 radio, 3 Boom, 4 Duet, 1 Touch, 1 SB2. Sonos 2xPLAY:1,
PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBMC, Foobar2000, XBoxOne
(sort of)