Hey Thomas,

Thx for your reply!

1)
Here is what I've found in my php.ini

; After this number of seconds, stored data will be seen as 'garbage' and
; cleaned up by the garbage collection process.
; http://php.net/session.gc-maxlifetime
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

Will raise this value to see how it works, but I am confident you pointed
out the right setting.

2)
I should have mentionned the problem occurs with polygon layers, i. e.
buildings.
I don't think it has something to do with the TOLERANCE. At a scale of 3100
even a very small polygon (3-4px long) responds to the query, while at 4500
a big polygon (100px long) can not be selected.
Oh, I realise now I am actually not using the Identfy tool, but
graphicalqueries_point tool instead. The problem happens also with the
graphicalqueries_polygon tool.