berlet was also instrumental in side-swiping mike ruppert on pacifica radio in
the early days before ruppert flaked out.  he did the same to professor david
ray griffin, if i recall.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sean McBride
  To: political-research@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [political-research] False flag terror: Follow-up

  I agree with and laud the agenda presented here, but Berlet has barely
registered as a tiny blip in my consciousness during the Bush 43 administration
(other than a bizarre episode in which I was accused of being Chip Berlet!).  I
can think of dozens (probably hundreds) of writers and researchers who have
done much more interesting work than Berlet in digging into 9/11, the
neoconservatives, the Israel lobby and related issues.  Jim Lobe's essays on
the neocons have set the standard for discussing what has been the most
significant factor in American politics for the last six or seven years:
neoconservatism, its manipulation of Christian Zionists and its influence on
George W. Bush and Dick Cheney in instigating the disastrous Iraq War and the
Clash of Civilizations.  If Berlet has contributed any research or analysis of
value on this subject, I haven't seen it.  I don't think he's connecting
effectively with the Internet audience out there, who have no idea what he
really stands for.

  Does Berlet really think that the LaRouche crowd is a bigger problem than the
Commentary crowd?  If he does, he's gotten far out of sync with most thinking
people.   The Commentary crowd has been in control of the American political
system under Bush 43.  By comparison, the LaRouchies are mere gadflies.

  Neoconservatism is an especially hot potato: neocons are pro-Israel militants
with close ties to Likud who often rely on the anti-Semitism smear to try to
silence their political opponents.  I wonder if Berlet, like Stephen Walt and
John Mearsheimer, has the force of mind to push his way through that noisy
barrage of intimidating abuse.  I doubt it.  Sometimes, in fact, he gives the
impression that he is aligned with neocon interests.

  Has Berlet ever tried to take on Little Green Footballs, Atlas Shrugs,
Israpundit, FrontPage Magazine and dozens of other neocon ops on the net which
specialize in gutter hate speech?  If not, why not?  What about hate speech in
neocon mainstream media outlets like Fox News?  David Brock and Media Matters
for America have been much more courageous and effective on this front than
Berlet.  Some invisible force seems to be holding Berlet back from exploring
certain sensitive subjects and acquiring an authentic voice.

  Michael Pugliese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    On 6/6/07, Sean McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Defending the
    establishment status quo ..

    Oh really? Chip Berlet sure would be surprised to hear he is a
    establishment status quo'ist.
    Eyes Right! (paper)
    Challenging the Right Wing Backlash
    Chip Berlet (Editor)
    Released 1995-01-01
    Berlet shows how to counter right-wing corporate, religious, and
    political agendas, and defend democracy and diversity.
    http://www.southendpress.org/
    http://www.publiceye.org/ yup, sure looks like a neo-con org. to me. Snort.
    Program Priorities
    Civil Liberties
    Economic Justice
    LGBT Equity
    Racial Justice
    Reproductive Justice
    The Christian Right

    http://www.publiceye.org/articles/topics.php
    * Introduction: the U.S. Political Right
    o Why is the Right so powerful?
    o Why We Need to Understand the Political Right
    * How is the Right Organized?
    o Christian Right and Theocracy
    o Coalition and Competition: an Overview
    o Conservatives
    o Xenophobic Right
    + Patriot Movement & Militias
    + Ultra Right
    * The Right's Agenda & Attacks
    o Criminal Justice
    o Democracy
    o Economic Justice
    o Environmental Policy
    o Peace, Foreign Policy, & Defense
    o Immigrant Rights
    o Labor, Workers, and Unions
    o Public Education
    o Reproductive Rights
    o Sovereignty & Indigenous Treaty Rights
    * Understanding Bigotry & Oppression
    o Dynamics of Oppression
    + Apocalyptic Dualism
    + Stereotyping, Prejudice, & Bigotry