On 2022/01/24 19:11, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 04:57:49PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2022/01/24 15:51, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> > > Would a git-generated email with a diff be acceptable?
> > > https://git-send-email.io/
> >
> > Yes as long as it's not one of those big [1/n] sequences of separate
> > emails that would be better dealt with in a single mail :)
> >
> > > In principle, such a patch would be very easy to apply (with git)
> > > to your local git repo - and it can be bounced to appropriately
> > > configured CI...
> >
> > Applying it with git isn't useful for someone who is going to commit
> > it to cvs because (even if they use a mixture of git/got+cvs themselves)
> > it still needs to get into their cvs checkout.
>
> I'm guessing here, but can't you overlay CVS and git trees?
> If it's possible then merging with git will produce a CVS diff.

While you can sort-of do that for the odd directory, you can't do that
for a whole tree, updates won't work. And git doesn't allow partial
checkouts/updates.

(this is one of the biggest problems I would have with any change to
using git in the ports tree actually; if I am working on a port which
has received a change since my last work, I want to be able to just
fix conflicts in the directories I care about and _not_ be messing
with the whole rest of the tree at that time).

> > What would you propose a CI to do for ports submissions?
>
> building (maybe testing too) the new/updated port only, just on amd64, as a
> start.

That's not amazingly useful as the submitter already needed to build
it. And a test build of a port is going to require root access in
order to install dependencies which is not ideal for something where
a run can be triggered by a random submission.