On 2022/01/24 15:51, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> Would a git-generated email with a diff be acceptable?
> https://git-send-email.io/

Yes as long as it's not one of those big [1/n] sequences of separate
emails that would be better dealt with in a single mail :)

> In principle, such a patch would be very easy to apply (with git)
> to your local git repo - and it can be bounced to appropriately configured
> CI...

Applying it with git isn't useful for someone who is going to commit
it to cvs because (even if they use a mixture of git/got+cvs themselves)
it still needs to get into their cvs checkout.

> > At the moment it's hidden in a page named 'Building the System from
> > Source', not very clear. Maybe put in on porter's handbook?
> >
> > - Some kind of automated pre-submission sanity test would be nice.
> > Should be simpler than a full CI setup. (is my diff mangled? is my
> > tree outdated?)
> The OpenBSD-supporting CI I mentioned in my other email
> https://man.sr.ht/builds.sr.ht/compatibility.md#openbsd
> would be very easy to set up for this.

What would you propose a CI to do for ports submissions?

Identifying and building ports that depend on a particular port and
doing a build of all of them on a clean -current OpenBSD system could
be useful in some cases, though complete overkill in most, and would
take long enough that it would be silly to do before a basic review.

There's another consideration with this. In a way it's good if a diff
from a less-experienced porter has some easier-to-spot issues (i.e.
the sort of issues that an automated check would be likely to identify)
because it's a bit of a flag that other, harder to spot, issues are
likely to be present too.