On 2007-11-16 13:38 -0600, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> You are naive.  The open source community is harsh and does not tend to
> cater to someone's feelings.  Kind of like the real world.

In the harsh real world the companies sue you for distributing
their software. I might just as well adopt their licenses and
practices: as you have admitted, the FOSS herd is harsh and no
different from them.

> I fail to see how that is your problem.  Its free software, they change
> it they deal with it.

They don't deal with it: they don't rename the software and tell
users to not bug the original author. As long the software clearly
points to the original author, users will come asking support for
the distro's version. That is the case if the software has a "face"
and has not become such "generic" software that just is there,
and of which there are known to be various implementations (such
as the basic *nix tools).

> Why do you care if someone else is starring at blurry fonts?

I care when they make it purposefully difficult for me to personally
use unblurry fonts, or some particular font (such as the beautiful
X Helvetica bitmap font, which is often blocked). I will not have my
software support such software that takes away or makes personal
choice for me very difficult.

> Dealing with Linux people tends to anger people.  Maybe you should try to
> leave the linuxers behind and work in a more constructive community.

And that is? While indeed *BSD (of which only FreeBSD is likely to have
the driver support I'd need) don't suffer from such utter and total
crap as udev, and other recent idiot box idiocies in the Linux kernel,
they still unfortunately rely on the same luserland (sic) that tends
to be designed for the monoculturist desktop projects these days.

> Your bitterness stems from
> getting involved with people you are incompatible with.

That's about 99% of people. As witnessed in this thread.

> And if you are that pissed off, why don't you just quit?
> You don't owe anyone anything.

I like to finish what I've started. Then I'll quit.

--
Tuomo