Todd Larson wrote:

> The movie "Outlaw Blues" has been on cable this month, and I've got a
> question about the theme song ...Pretty entertaining stuff, and much of it
> was filmed in Austin.)

Yeah boy, when they came here to film that thing we all said "things are
happening to us now!". We all thought it was but the beginning of a
massive inflow of industry weasels and labels and publishers and record
deals for everybody and probably the Apocalypse, too. After all, we had
just won the Billboard Trendsetter of the Year Award at KOKE-FM for
having the idea to play country-rock music! And Willie lived here and
was starting his own label! And Texas Chainsaw had just been done here!
etc etc.

some of them things happened but most didn't, and it took another twenty
years for any of it to happen in a meaningful way, and there still ain't
no labels or publishers here bigger than a thimblefull of horseshit.

However, the live scene is still cool. And with Seagrams (!) owning half
of the world now, I don't think banking on major labels will get any of
us very far...
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records