"Ph. Barnard" wrote:

> Joe!  Good to see you back...
>
> > However, the live scene is still cool. And with Seagrams (!) owning half
> > of the world now, I don't think banking on major labels will get any of
> > us very far...
>
> In light of the current situation, what *do* you bank on?   Anything
> strike you as a viable approach to the situation as it stands now??
>
> Indies aren't getting people very far financially either, in most
> cases.  What to do, what to do....
>
> Curious,
> --junior

Hi Junior, sorry I missed you when you were in town...

I don't honestly know that there is a solution at this time. The major
labels have left a lot of room underneath them for mid-size and small
labels, but they can't afford to pay much up front because they are
usually undercapitalized. Internet sales are a thing of the future, but
at present they are fairly anemic. Truth is that bands who play a lot of
gigs can make a decent amount of money selling merchandise.

One thing that is easy to forget is that the so-called majors of today
were once home and storefront businesses themselves in most cases. A&M
was in Herb Alpert's garage. Capitol was just a tiny spark of an idea in
LA in the 40's. Motown, etc etc. It is never impossible in the music
business to take something small and get big.

I used to be a major-league bitcher about majors and radio and all of
that, and I still bemoan the horrible changes that have taken place in
the structure of those industries. However, the truth still remains that
you can make all the dogfood you want but it don't do you any good
unless the dogs like it. A hit will out. I still think that if you make
something that enough people like, then you will sell a bunch of it
somehow. Hell, even Leann Rimes is living proof that you can still have
a hit from the ground up.

My brains are fried from going to Jimmy Day's funeral today. I think
something changed in the world for good.

Joe
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records