Barry Mazor wrote:

> Post-Byrds California style--and I can
> only say that LOTS of ol' rockers were fairly turned off by the
> "new"Crosby-dominated sound notions of CSN at the time, for the  "blanding
> down" reasons raised .  If you were a hardcore fan of the Band and Dylan
> and the Burrito Brothers  and Let It Bleed Stones in 1968/69, you
> certainly were NOT necessarily in love with these developments at all!

No shit.  Now there's some stone country<rock>.  What promise!!  Band/Dylan
Burritos Stones.  What the hell happened?  The next thing I know, Im in some
girl's dorm room with frangipani, patchouli, candles, indian prints and
listening to CSN, Carol King, James Taylor and <shuuuuudddddder>The Moody
Blues.  Then a bunch of mopey stuff by (I think I'll restrain myself here)
certain popular f*lk singers.  No wonder I wound up ..... (well that's another
story).

>  So let's get that straight--there was a real dividing line between 60s and
> 70s rock in that moment--and  the lovers of the emerging 70s sound, younger
> than the likes of me nd tneding toward a sort of willed stoned sweetness,
> would support most of the blandest sounds of that decade many around here
> find as dull as I do.  It was enough to carry you into hard core country
> and blues until the late 70s first punk arrvgal/revival!
> But that really  doesn't mean the history of California country rock
> harmony is all sweetness and light.

Barry testifies to the truth.  I think I only listened to early Ray Price, Hank
Williams and Muddy Waters etc. until .... well hell, 1996.  Oh yah, and the
Allmans etc.  Rhythm Aces.  Well there were some bright spots.

Stuart
npimh: Have you heard about the Midnight Rambler