"Walker, Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>All this re:soul business has jogged my memory about something - postcarders
>who own a copy of "On Golden Smog" may care to look at the hand-drawn cover,
>theres a sign above a barroom door that reads "Tonight: Resoul Hawkrun".
>As you can see, I have too much time on my hands.

And of course Golden Smog's _Down By The Old Mainstream_ also featured a
nice cover of Bobby Patterson's Jewel/Paula cut _She Don't Have To See You
(To See Through You)_.

My view of country-soul btw would be epitomised by William Bell's _You
Don't Miss Your Water_ (anyone else think the Byrds cover on _Sweethearts
Of The Rodeo_ completely devoid of soul?) & I'd include black artists such
as Otis Redding, Solomon Burke, James Carr, Joe Simon, Arthur Alexander,
Clarence Carter etc etc (I know I'm missing a lot here) all of whom
incorporated elements of country music into their sound.

np: The Byrds - _Sweethearts Of The Rodeo_ (for comparison)

cheers,

- james matthews .... [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   "boogity boogity boogity boogity shoop"