Louise Kyme wrote:

> Well, I don't know about large alt.country sections in music shops. Usually
> the alt.country gets mixed in with the mainstream country which adds up to
> a pretty large selection.

yeah, tho tower in london have a (fairly small) alt country section

> Lucinda Williams is very 'vogue' in serious music circles in the UK. She
> was voted no. 4 by a Sunday Times reviewer for album of the year, which is
> pretty amazing, and Robbie Fulks' 'Let's Kill Saturday Night' get a good
> review by Q magazine.

there has definitely been an awakening of interest in the scene in the UK in
the past 18 months or so.  We're getting a lot of people touring or at least
visiting (Whiskeytown, Wilco, Son Volt, Chris Whitley (?!), Hazeldine and
Casal, Gillian Welch last week, Lucinda last month, etc etc) and the
intelligent press is sitting up finally and discovering good American roots
music.  A number of albums of interest made best of lists in the press -
Lucinda of course (I still havent managed to bring myself to listen to it more
than once), Lovett, Mermaid Avenue, Welch spring to mind.  People are starting
to discover that there is more to country than big hats and tight jeans and
blander than bland music (sorry all you HNC fans out there, but it is BLAND).

> Steve Earle has always had a good/better press and support over here than
> the Nashville 'stars' and Lucinda could probably do the same. However, acts
> that are too strongly country and less rock influenced would find it tough
> in the UK because country music is generally seen as a joke.

yes.  And why?  Pumpkinhead.  Shania "look at me I'm a prettier Celine Dion"
Twain.  Billy Ray effing achy breaky Cyrus.  Keith "wouldnt know soulful music
if it hit me like an express train" Harling.  These pillocks and pillockesses
and the rest of their brood have a lot to answer for.

> I bet there aren't any other Brits on P2 that can get Let's Kill Saturday
> Night in their local library....

Southampton?  really?  12 miles down the road.  wow.Stevie

grouchy again.  Sorry.