Stevie Simkin wrote:

> If I ever admit to my students that I like (some) country music, I have to do it
> in a very guarded manner to protect any shreds of credibility I may still own in
> their eyes.  I go via the American music - roots - American folk traditions -
> thing, and usually stress the alt-country first, at least, talking about wedding
> punk ethos with country tradition blah blah blah.  But since if it's not techno
> (or derivative 60s guitar driven Britpop, Oasis come on down), it ain't hip, I'm
> pretty much on a losing wicket from the get go.  It just hit me (again) that
> most of these kids weren't born when punk happened.  I did find a 20 year old
> student who liked Ben Harper recently. I nearly had a coronary.
>
> Stevie

Stevie, I have no credbility amongst my friends (mostly in their 20's) - I like
country music, and I play accordion. I have to be ultra hip in every other way just
to make up for it <g>

I've never been to America, but I can't imagine that the embarrassment of liking
country music is as big in the States as it is in the UK.

I don't find the success of Garth, Shania, LeAnn and the Mavericks makes it any
worse though, because they don't really sound like country. It's the Dolly Parton &
Don Williams era and sound that most Brits associate with country and laugh at.

Oh the misery.

Louise
--

If you like rocking country music, check out the Okeh Wranglers web site at:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/bluesmoke