>       Jon, you mention Hank Snow, an artist I'd love to buy a good
> compilation of. Can you recommend one?

The Bombmeister is right that The Essential is a decent collection and that
you'll probably have to pay full price for it.  There's another widely
available collection, Snow Country (Pair) that's budget-priced, and there's
a nominally out-of-print collection called I'm Movin' On and Other Great
Country Hits that can usually be scared up somewhere or other (especially
via BMG's music club), also budget-priced, and with only 2 duplicates from
Snow Country.  Between the two of them, just about all of Essential is
covered, plus a bunch more.

Best bang for the buck, then, is the I'm Movin' On/Snow Country combo (40
cuts, c. $22); best single-disc overview is The Essential (20 cuts, c. $15).
If you're really tight on dough and you don't care so much about having the
hits, Snow Country (20 cuts, c. $11) is o.k. on its own - not that there
aren't plenty of hits on it, but not of the same order as on the Essential.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/