...part of what made his stuff so interesting to me ..  Snow had a lot
>of Rodgers to him,...Now, Jimmie Rodgers' blues stuff often has that straight,
>non-note-bending "white" side to it around the 3rd (less so around the 7th),
>but Snow's almost always has it, and to someone like me, who had listened to
>a lot of Black blues, it was fascinating how the rhythms were changed and
>the bends straightened out.
>Jon

Yeah, that's very much like my experience also--fascinated..and fascinated
that it worked...
There was also that recognition that with the Rodgers blues take, "Well, I
could sing THAT, comfortably, without sounding like I'm trying to be
something I'm not...I could be at home with that"-(Since I AM, of course,
not a black fieldhand , but a singing brakeman from Mississippi.!..) --

 I suspect that  a reaction something very much like  that was part of the
impact that  Rodgers' music had on a lot of country singers--certainly
bigtime  fan/followers like Snow and Tubb (and Autry  Cliff Carlisle, etc.
and some day Merle Haggard)...this was a doable way--as well as a really
potent way.
  As a singer, I'd take Rodgers over Snow for sure--but then, Snow probably
would too!

Barry