"Walker, Jason" wrote:

> Joe,
> I have to say that I take great exception to your assessment of Hank Snow as
> a mediocre talent. Far from it - this country music legend overcame a number
> of obstacles - being very much an outsider to the Grand Ole Opry as a
> Canadian, he none the less spent years travelling the United States to break
> in to the exclusive country music scene.
> His songs are an odd mixture of pathos, bathos and weird humour not to
> mention his phenomenal lead guitar skills - like Hank Thompson he played his
> own lead breaks. He recorded a number of award-winning instrumental albums
> with none other than Chet Atkins, who says that he thinks Snow is one of the
> most distinctive lead guitarists he's ever heard.
> IMO, a mediocre talent he definitely is not.

Yeah, he could play the guitar, and I should have credited him for that.
However, I honestly think he is the perfect example of a rather
passionless and not particularly charismatic performer who was supported
by the Opry machine all out of proportion to his worth. I realize this
is purely a matter of taste.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records