Joe,
I have to say that I take great exception to your assessment of Hank Snow as
a mediocre talent. Far from it - this country music legend overcame a number
of obstacles - being very much an outsider to the Grand Ole Opry as a
Canadian, he none the less spent years travelling the United States to break
in to the exclusive country music scene.
His songs are an odd mixture of pathos, bathos and weird humour not to
mention his phenomenal lead guitar skills - like Hank Thompson he played his
own lead breaks. He recorded a number of award-winning instrumental albums
with none other than Chet Atkins, who says that he thinks Snow is one of the
most distinctive lead guitarists he's ever heard.
IMO, a mediocre talent he definitely is not.