Kip wrote:

>People often laud Thompson's "Shoot Out The Lights" as
>being his best of that period, and maybe that's because it's
>more of a rock record with folk overtones. But I myself prefer
>"I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight", which is just about >as perfect a blend of
>folk and rock as has ever been make.
>And I think the production on both that album and "Pours
>Down Like Silver" is just fine, myself. Nicely understated,
>everything sounds "real", tasteful and creative arrangments,
>etc. etc.  One thing's for sure: these weren't no coffee folk >records.

How are we defining "that period"?  The whole Richard and Linda era?  The reason I'm
asking is because I hear a huge difference between the stuff they recorded for Island
and their later material for Chrysalis and Hannibal.  The early records are very folky
sounding, more acoustic with lots of tradtional English and Irish influences.  When
they changed record companies, they noticeably shifted gears.  The accordion and
fiddle were still there, sometimes, but his guitar playing was way out front.  Their
last record together, "Shoot Out the Lights," was a great rock record.  Too bad they
got divorced in the middle of making it.

Jim N.