>I understand why many people can't stand Fairport, and I understand why
>people find Thompson's later solo work inconsistent as hell (because it
>is), but neither of those points discounts the fact that he is perhaps the
>greatest guitar player in the history of rock.

>Amy

OK, I like to consider myself reasonably open-minded (even though I'm really
a cantankerous, walled-off bastard). So, in the spirit of, er, Valentines
Day, would anyone on this list care to make me a tape of Thompson cuts that
don't fall prey to over-production and do cut to the heart of his genius.
(Especially if there's live stuff and big, loud, thundering guitars
involved. In my book, this is known as Gooood!!). Contact me on or off-list
and maybe we can arrange a trade. If he is the mack, then I want in. I'm not
promising that I'll traipse in the meadow of goodwill upon hearing the tape,
but if I am, indeed, swayed, I will gratefully acknowledge it.

Now, as for the greatest guitar player in the history of rock, Amy, that's a
MIGHTY heady statement. Don't get me wrong, I like mighty. And heady I'm
fine with. But I don't know if anyone will knock James Marshall offa the top
of my list. Nevertheless, I welcome the challenge. I mean, opportunity.

Lance . . .
[EMAIL PROTECTED]