Despite what y'all say about SXSW or any event like it, I think that when
playing a showcase, or any CSRF like it, it is up to the artist to make the
most of what's available. You *do* have the opportunity to get important
people out to see your band/act if you take the initiative to let people
know you're out there. You can't expect to just show up and draw a crowd.
These things are really about networking, getting the word out about what
makes you different or better than what else is out there. If you go into
it thinking that you've got no shot and no one cares, your probably right.
If you work at it and actually have something interesting to say or maybe
think of different way to grab some attention, the right folks will find
you. These events are good opportunities, if you look at them as a start or
continuation of whatever plan you have and if you don't have a plan, then
maybe you better reconsider what you're doing in the first place. As to why
the larger acts play, it's usually to promote something that their record
label is paying for. SXSW is a  media event and the labels look at it as a
major marketing opportunity. This seems obvious to me, but I guess other
folks don't see it that way. <g>
Jim, off my soapbox