On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Despite what y'all say about SXSW or any event like it, I think that when
> playing a showcase, or any CSRF like it, it is up to the artist to make the
> most of what's available. You *do* have the opportunity to get important
> people out to see your band/act if you take the initiative to let people
> know you're out there.

        Again, if you go into SXSW with a buzz on your band, then sure,
you might realistically expect some "important people" to come to your
show, chat you up afterwards, etc. etc. But I suspect if you're in the Joe
Blow Band from Scranton, PA and you try to convince a rep from Hightone to
make your set, it's probably not gonna happen.

 <You can't expect to just show up and draw a crowd.

        Goes without saying, I'd think.

> These things are really about networking, getting the word out about what
> makes you different or better than what else is out there.

        I agree there's worth here in the sense of meeting other
bands, trading shows with them, meeting some lower level
label reps, d.j.'s, yadda yadda. But all of the emphasis here on
schmoozing and networking and "taking it to the next level" and so on...I
dunno, I think it would behoove a lot of these bands to simply concentrate
on their music and spend less time trying to figure out how they're gonna
get the attention of A&R.

        Look: SXSW sells a dream. That's why all those bands make the
drive (well, that and it can be fun to hear all the great music, depending
on how superhuman you're feeling that week, as Junior Barnard once said).
And let's not forgot there's a group of people making an *enormous*
amount of money off that dream. The actual musicians are not among this
group, for the most part.

 If you go into
> it thinking that you've got no shot and no one cares, your probably right.
> If you work at it and actually have something interesting to say or maybe
> think of different way to grab some attention, the right folks will find
> you.

        This is the myth that is sold. "If you only find the right
combination of green and purple, the Right People will bestow their
blessings upon ye!". So then you have all these little bands desperately
looking for the right combination of green and purple and suddenly it's
not about music anymore, it's about green and purple.

 These events are good opportunities, if you look at them as a start or
> continuation of whatever plan you have and if you don't have a plan, then
> maybe you better reconsider what you're doing in the first place.

        Yes, it's a real good idea to have some common sense when it
comes to your band. It's good to Meet People, absolutely. It makes sense
to have an Attractive Package. It's important to Prioritize Your
Objectives. But when all is said and done, it's the music that matters.
And that is not the message these mega-festivals send to the bands.

The bands are sent a very different message.

                                Kip