It's rare enough that I agree with Jim that I thought I better point it out.
IMO, his view of the value of SXSW - or any kind of CSRF - is exactly right.
Bluegrass has something a little bit like that in the International
Bluegrass Music Association's annual trade show - though not surprisingly,
it's on a much smaller scale.  Even so, there are similar discussions about
the value, or lack thereof, of showcasing, etc.  Those folks that have a
plan get something out of it (good example: Blue Highway.  They got a good
buzz going before they appeared, and they really nailed down their big-time
status by doing a hot showcase for a big crowd), those that don't, don't.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/