At 12:29 PM 2/23/99 -0500, Terry asked:

>Isn't there a sound aesthetic
>argument for arranging "gritty" songs in a "gritty" fashion, and giving
>urbane lyricizing a glossier finish?

Sure there is. But there's also an aesthetic argument for providing a
contrast between gritty lyrics and "sweet" sounds (as on the new Wilco, for
example). Art's about choices--if there's a "correct" arrangement for a
particular kind of song, then the choice is removed and the art of the
thing's removed too.

Hmm.  Do I believe that? I dunno...

Jon wrote:

>Uh, actually, the arrangement flows pretty directly from Hank Snow's (Bare's
>is from 1964, Snow's from 1960) except that the chorus is even more up-front
>on Snow's.

And how! Snow's version is a good case, in fact, of a gritty lyric holding
up better than a  less gritty arrangement, like Bare's. Those singers
adding at the front "Dark old cave, Miller's cave," just dripping in echo,
as well as that "Miller, Miller, Miller's Cave" between the verses, really
helps build the tension in Snow's classic version. Bare recites the last
verse, but the way Snow exagerates his croon on "both you and DAVEY"--it's
really sarcastic and creepy. I love it.

My dad turned me on to Snow's Miller's Cave when I was a kid. I still have
my old man's 1966 copy of The Best of Hank Snow, where on the back I wrote
next to Miller's Cave, in my grade school handwriting: "Dyn-O-mite!" .

Guess that dates ME pretty well, huh? <g>

I adore Snow's music. Does anyone know how his health is? Does anyone have
a mini review to offer up of his long-ass autobiography?
--dc