David Cantwell says:

> >Isn't there a sound aesthetic
> >argument for arranging "gritty" songs in a "gritty" fashion, and giving
> >urbane lyricizing a glossier finish?
>
> Sure there is. But there's also an aesthetic argument for providing a
> contrast between gritty lyrics and "sweet" sounds (as on the new
> Wilco, for example).

Another good example from country music that I was listening to last night
is Don Gibson.  Man, that guy had about the darkest, morose-est lyric vein
imaginable, which contrasted nicely with his trend-setting Nashville Sound
stuff.

> I adore Snow's music. Does anyone know how his health is? Does anyone have
> a mini review to offer up of his long-ass autobiography?

Health isn't good, I hear.  I read the autobiography, and enjoyed it - but
then, I'm a big Hank Snow fan too; I suspect that folks who aren't might
find it pretty dry, as it's pretty much a "then I did this, then I did this,
then I did this" kind of read.  If, though, you're interested in the thises
he did...

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/