David's point about context sounds fuckin' cool: I heard a panel
     discussion on record production on the radio this weekend that
     included Niles Rogers, the fuckin'-cool-sounding producer-guitar
     player from Chic and, of course, of David Bowie's least-twee, funniest
     album, Let's Dance. (The great final flameout of his artistic
     relevance.) One of the points made was that a producer is like a film
     director - not someone making a soundtrack but someone *making the
     film* by assembling the creative elements into a coherent package. And
     it seems to me that a lot of arrangement choices are the aural
     equivalent of montage.

     Great montage includes, for one thing, the awareness that cliches
     (eg., screaming to indicate fear, minor chords to indicate sadness,
     darkness to indicate menace, spare instrumentation to indicate grit)
     are a trap. You're unlikely to create something striking and original
     because you're telling people what they already know - whereas horror
     in full daylight might be more horrifying, whereas happy songs in
     minor keys (which is a tradition in many parts of the world) might be
     more evocative, whereas lush instrumentation may convey a sense of
     suffocating self-awareness... (Of course, the cliches used carefully
     might also be original and striking but that seems an even more
     daunting challenge doesn't it?)

     The other important element in montage of course, is montage itself.
     That is, as Eisenstein realized (based I recall on psychological
     studies), that people will read values into neutral images depending
     what precedes and follows. So you can cut from a crying baby to a
     woman seated at a table with a blank expression, and the audience will
     guess she's a mother at wit's end; or you can cut from Marcello
     Mastrianni opening a bottle of wine to a woman seated at a table and
     people will assume she's rapt with anticipation for her lover.

     This is just an analogy to support what David's saying about inherent
     meaning and artistic choice - that putting strings on something isn't
     always sweetening, that a slow slide down a steel guitar is a prism we
     see the song through, not a dictator of a particular emotive content.
     (I can accept that through tradition and perhaps even inherent musical
     wiring we're *likely* to hear these things one way or another, but
     like David I'm highly suspicious of literal equivalences.)

     Though that's not to say that some countrypolitan music didn't get the
     shit produced out of it, just like some spare music sounds wobbly and
     flat. In art how you use the tool matters at least as much as the tool
     itself, McLuhanism be ... well, not damned, but at least somewhat
     modified.

     Carl W.