        [Matt Benz] This is true, but there are terrible producers who
will not only ruin the sound of a song, but actually add lyrics,
bridges, etc....essentially re-write your song. So a artist can be
manipulated easily. Surprising that anyone would allow this to happen,
but it does. I've seen it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own
ears. Young bands-offered a chance to record-are easily waylaid and
manipulated.  I wouldn't say this about Atkins. The Countrypolitian
Sound, was like the Motown and Stax sound, created by a group of
musicians and producers working together on many projects, hence the
similarities in sound and style. But it was still organic and complex,
not a rote system applied like whitewash.

        There are as many producer/musician relationships as there are
musicians and producers. There's the Ken Nelson school, where he kept
out of the way of creativity for the most part, letting Buck Owens run
the show while he ran the technical end, listened for problems. Then
there's the George Martin type, who starts out in control, but over time
becomes more of a musical partner, learning as much as the artist, then
there's those producers who Rule as Gods, ala Phil Spector. And every
other kind you can think of, from drinking buddy to the guy in the band
who owns the board.

        Did you know the Beatles, in 1969, claimed that Phil Spector
ruined their "Let It Be" songs with heaps of strings and choirs? Well,
at least McCartney complained. I don't think the others cared anymore.

        Matt, wearing his new Turncoat proudly