"Shane S. Rhyne" wrote:

> I suppose I always assumed that production was a more collaborative effort
> than what it sounds like.

Sometimes the producer is the de facto artist, like Phil Spector, whose
artists were pretty much nameless and interchangeable (except perhaps
the Righteous Bros) and who really was the star of the show. Some
producers are very hands-off and just interject an opinion when needed
to steer things in the right direction. some of them are overpaid
airheads who sleep through the session (I have personally engineered
sessions with a famous-name producer who slept through the whole damn
thing). There is no definition of what a record producer is or does.
Some of them are people who put the money up for the session and
appropriate the "producer" title just because they can, not having a
clue. There are musician-producers, engineer-producers,
financier-producers, label owner-producers, and increasingly now there
are songwriter-producers who have very definite ideas about how they
want their songs done.

I swear fifty percent of the job lies in knowing when to say "that's the
one. Stop now", since most musicians are perfectionists and will play
something to death and go 'way past it.
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records