Will Miner wrote:

> I know we've been focusing, or trying to, on producers of twang, but I've
> been surprised that no one's mentioned Jeff Lynne, one of the most
> wretched of the wretched.  No matter what the lineup of the band or their
> style, after going through his meat grinder they all sound the same, with
> the limp but loud drums and those horrendous drive-by backing vocals with
> all the life compressed out of them.  Jeez.  And otherwise relatively
> sane people hire him, just like Spector.

Michael Berick replied:

>I must chime in and agree here about Jeff Lynne - particularly with the
>godawful synth bath production jobs he did to Dave Edmunds back in the early
>80's.

I think we even got Lynne-defender Jerry Curry to sorta kinda agree to the
truth of his mishandling of Dave Edmunds best sound on those two records,
though he maintained those were still big sellers for DE. And Dave was
often twangy- it was great material for him, and he did it well.
Thing is, Dave's been trying to make a comeback ever since those
Lynne-produced releases.

b.s.

"The truth ain't always what we need, sometimes we need to hear a beautiful
lie." -Bill Lloyd