Joe says:

> It
> finally dawned on me what he was doing- he was removing himself from the
> process so that all he could be aware of was the mix itself. Brilliant,
> really. (Other guys do the same thing by leaving and just coming in from
> time to time to see how it's going.)

Or, to get back to the producer that started the thread, here's a snippet
from the JCM roundtable I mentioned earlier:

Q.  What about the producers?  I'd like for you to talk about what they
contributed.

Buddy Harman:  A lot of 'em were smart enough to let us do what we felt like
would fit the song.....A lot of 'em left us alone, and they'd just play a
demo and we would come up with something.

Ray Edenton:  Chet made that statement one time.  He was really interested
in it - one of the better producers, I thought.  Somebody said (Chet was in
there reading a book), "Why don't you tell these guys what to play?"  He
said, "Why the hell should I tell 'em?  There're six guys out there.  They
could all be producers.  Why should I tell 'em that when I got six people
telling me how this record should be made?  If I hear something I don't
really like, I'll tell 'em.  Otherwise, I'll read my book."

Harold Bradley:  Or he'd sit there and practice his guitar.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/