On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Jennifer K. Heffron wrote:

> On the topic of covers, generally, I enjoy the occasional incongruous
> cover that an artist throws into the set, even the cheese.  Especially
> when the artist can make the cover song sound uniquely "theirs."  I guess
> I like the novelty of it.  A song ends and I expect to hear another
> fabulous original.  But no, instead I get "Jet."  Fabulous!  Hilarious!
> I'm thinking of the first time I heard The Derailers' cover of Prince's
> "Raspberry Beret" or The V-Roys' cover of IOU by The Replacements.  I
> guess one could make the argument that the above songs are not really
> cheese, but I like 'em all.

Dang, I wish people would listen to us like that <g#>. Since HTC is
a working club band as well as an alt-country-of-sorts band, we do a lot
of venues (VFW's and such) where cover tunes of all kinds are a
requirement. It really is amazing how a song you've played to death can
gain new life before a different audience. For instance, in spite of the
dictum which holds that no band should ever cover "Folsom Prison
Blues", we keep on doing it regardless of the "cheese factor" because
(a) its fun; (b) people actually seem to like it; and (c) we usually have
three telecasters on stage and it makes sense to use them.

N.B. Sort of off the subject: Another fun kinda song to do is the
obligatory spaghetti western surf instrumental. I was looking for one of
those for us to cover not long ago, and last week in this restaurant in
Richmond over the background music there comes "The Lonely Bull" by Herb
Alpert. Has anyone heard another band cover this recently?

--
 Geff King * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www2.ari.net/gking/
"Don't let me catch you laughin' when the jukebox cries"