> >The first time I heard their version was on the televised portion of the
> >Opry a few years ago; that flat 7 chord jumped right out at me.
>
> Uh... as a non-musician who doesn't even aspire to play three chord Lou
> Reed songs, what the hell are you talking about?

Hah, am I glad you asked, because it's not a flat 7, it's a flat 6 (so much
for this "non-musician" pose).  The first two lines of the verse go 4 chord
to 1 chord, but at the start of the third line, it goes to a flat 6 chord -
C in the key of E - and that's not something you find a lot of in bluegrass,
or in country music in general (there's a flat 6 in the second part of
"Snowflake Reel"/"Snowflake Breakdown," but after that it gets hard to
recall any right now).

If you recall the chord pattern for "All Along The Watchtower," the chord
that the pattern goes down to is the flat 6 (1minor, flat 7, flat 6, flat
7,1minor, repeat ad infinitum); another example of it is in "I've Been
Loving You Too Long," where it's used in the vamp (a passage that you play
over and over, like a loop).  Maybe that will give you the idea of the
sound.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/