Title: Re: Changing Subject Lines
I guess this isn't so much about who's a good alt.country band as who I like these days, but here goes:  the Pinetops from Winston Salem - I think that Jeffery Dean Foster (who is NOT JD Foster. he's a youngin') is a vivid, intuitive songwriter and the band that he assembled for his record Above Ground and Vertical is the tops - they're doing what might be called "Uncle Tupelo" but really they reind me of about 5 of my favorite bands all at once ...I think Beaver Nelson is the male Lucinda Williams - don't fuck up and miss him if you're gonna be in Austin...I love the Yay-hoos and think using Chip Robinson as the frontman is brilliant even if they're calling it the Backsliders...I like the emo-roots of Lou Ford...The new Hazeldine record (as yet without a home due to Unigram hell) is brilliant!  Its the ulitmate Chick's Roadtrip Record...Pete Krebs from PORTLAND is the real deal (another great band performing great songs) Sweet Ona Rose coming from Cavity Search Records soon...Little Sue from PORTLAND has the vocal talents of Iris Dement, the spirit of Loretta Lynn and the relevance of Edith Frost or Freakwater...Fernando from PORTLAND is gonna shock you all with his new album (nothing you'd expect if you've heard his other stuff) rootsy psychedelic roots rock - you heard me right...isolated scenes come up with the most interesting stuff - big city clusterfucks don't seem to matter as much to their participants...or something...xoxo