> >  If you are a Hot New Country star and you cover a 70's pop or
> >rock hit, you will probably be vilified for it.
>
>     In my book, not if it was a good song in the first place and you do a
> solid job of it.  If it ends up being like almost all of the
> versions on the Rolling Stones or Eagles mainstream country tributes,
> then you'll be vilified legitimately, IMHO.

I dunno, Dan; I don't think I've ever seen anything but dismissals of
Garth's "Shameless" or "The Fever," and not because people argued that they
were bad jobs or that he didn't do a good job on them.  The very *idea* that
he was covering Billy Joel and (?) seemed to elicit plenty of vilification
all by itself.  Personally, I think he made a good country record on
"Shameless"; the kickoff still fools me every time <g>.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/