Dare someone try to explain why so many artists/bands (Wilco, Son Volt,
Fulks, apparently Old 97s etc) are so intent on distancing themselves from
alt-country, even to the point of making 70s/Beach Boy-esque pop albums? I
dont recall punk groups, or grunge acts going around denying they were punk
or suddenly abandoning grunge and taking up jazz. What success, what base
these artists have they have because of their early alt-country work.  And
now its seems they cant jump off the alt-country wagon full of alt-country
hayseeds quick enough.