On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Chris Orlet wrote:

> Dare someone try to explain why so many artists/bands (Wilco, Son Volt,
> Fulks, apparently Old 97s etc) are so intent on distancing themselves
> from alt-country, even to the point of making 70s/Beach Boy-esque pop
> albums? I dont recall punk groups, or grunge acts going around denying
> they were punk or suddenly abandoning grunge and taking up jazz. What
> success, what base these artists have they have because of their early
> alt-country work.  And now its seems they cant jump off the alt-country
> wagon full of alt-country hayseeds quick enough.

I'm sure it's partly due to artistic evolution -- some folks just
genuinely feel like moving in different directions.  Then again, I'd bet
my Hitchike to Rhome album that label pressure is also often a factor.  I
don't think it's any accident that all of the bands mentioned above have
signed to the rock divisions of major labels, and those labels could
really give a flying fuck about fiddles and steel guitars.  They're trying
to break these bands at alternative radio, and I think it's naive to think
there hasn't been any pressure exerted by those labels to deemphasize the
twang.  Often, the bands are happy to go along.--just call me smilin' don